Fitness & Recreation Center
This page is meant to serve as a guide to reopening the Bristol Community College Fitness Center on the Fall River campus and provide guidance to offering in-person recreational activities in a post covid environment. This document is a guide and is subject to change at any time based on The Bristol Together Plan, guidance from the CDC (Centers for Disease Control) (Centers for Disease Control) and State of Massachusetts.
The Bristol Fitness & Recreation Center plan was developed using guidelines from:
- The Bristol Together Plan
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Massachusetts State Mandatory Safety Standards for Workplaces
Bristol Fitness Center Fall River Campus
Fitness Center Policies
- Currently enrolled Bristol Community College students, staff, faculty, and alumni in good standing are eligible to use the Fitness Center.
- A signed consent form must be completed. Go to the page for the forms.
- Covid-19 vaccination is required.
- Face masks are required indoors at all times.
- Workout is limited to 90 minutes.
- When possible, keep 6 feet away from other participants.
- Proper athletic attired is required.
- Must have your Bristol ID card and swipe in at the Information desk.
- Locker rooms are available. Please be respectful of other users' space and privacy.
- We are not responsible for any lost or stolen items.
- All equipment must be wiped down by the user before and after use with disposable gym wipes provided by the Bristol Fitness Center.
- For cable stations: limited to one person at a time. All attachments must be cleaned before and after use.
- All individual pieces of equipment including, dumbbells, jump ropes, yoga mats, kettlebells, foam rollers and balance balls must be cleaned by the user and re-racked after use.
- Use of the fitness center is a privilege, not a right. Anyone that does not follow these, or other posted rules shall be subject to immediate removal from the center, loss of privileges and/or disciplinary action up to and including expulsion.
- Plexiglass has been installed at Information desk, transaction location, card reader.
- Electronic consent form must be signed by all participants.
- All fitness equipment has been spaced to provide at least 6 feet distance between each piece using group exercise open floor areas for equipment that can easily be moved.
- Block off equipment that cannot be moved to maintain the 6ft. rule.
- Limit the number of participants in center at one time. A maximum of 20 participants with 10 in the upper area and 10 in the lower area (not including staff).
- Limit the amount of time that participants may stay in facility to 90 minutes.
- Appointments are needed for any 1 to 1 session.
- No more than 2 staff members at the information desk area, not including the fitness center coordinator.
- Disposable wipes are available for cleaning equipment.
- Remove TV controls. Only staff can control TVs.
- No use of fans in the center.
- Water fountain should be used as fill stations only. No drinking directly from fountain.
- Locker rooms and showers are open and available for use.
Group Exercise Classes
- Offer live online group fitness classes via Zoom.
- Offer indoor face-to-face group exercise classes. Masks and Covid-19 vaccinations are required.
- Offer outdoor group fitness classes starting April 2022 (as weather permits).
- Participants will be required to bring their own exercise mat, dumbbells and water.
- Classes will be held under the solar canopy in parking lot 10.
- Use of a restroom will be available. H building is the closest. Masks and social distancing are required when going into the building to use the restroom.
Sports equipment is available in the fitness center to check out and use outdoors as weather permits. Equipment will be cleaned after each use.
Fitness Center Cleaning Perotocols
- All cleaning is coordinated with the facilities department.
- Disposable gym wipes are available for all participants to wipe down each piece of equipment that they use before and after use.
- Hand sanitizer is available throughout the fitness center.
- Fitness staff monitors use of fitness center and cleanliness of equipment and supplements cleaning during the day.
- Bathrooms are available and cleaned daily.
- Facilities deptartment will do supplemental cleaning as needed.
Staff Training that has been Completed
- Proper use of PPE (Personal Protective Equipment).
- How to protect themselves against the transmission of infectious diseases.
- Proper cleaning procedures of equipment.
- All staff will complete training based on The Bristol Together Plan.
- Training for staff on managing participant use of fitness center including flow of traffic through the center.