Recycling at Bristol
Scroll Down for Page Content
Institute for Sustainability and Post-Carbon Edu
777 Elsbree Street
Fall River, MA 02720
Recyclable materials are collected throughout all buildings on the Bristol campus by way of strategically placed containers. Custodial staff then collect all recyclables from within buildings and along with the Grounds staff, bring these materials to the appropriate containers in the storage yard. These materials are then picked up on a regularly scheduled basis and processed by a local waste services company for processing.
- Cans, bottles, and plastics are stored in 30-yard containers with an on call pickup.
- Paper is recycled using 90-gallon totes that are picked up by a curbside truck 2-3 times per month.
- Cardboard is placed in a 10-yard container that is emptied once a week
- All lawn and leaf debris produced by the grounds department is composted. This organically rich material is then used by the grounds department as a soil amendment for various landscape projects around campus.
- All hazardous waste produced by the college, (fluorescent tubes, ballast, batteries, computer hardware etc.), is handled through various vendors under state contract.
- Cooking oil from both the culinary arts program and our food services contractor is collected and recycled thru a partnership with Newport Biodiesel.
- Students in environmental courses collect vegetable waste and coffee grounds from our food service providers and deliver this material into compost bins which removes the waste from our trash stream and recycles it into compost.
- All scrap metals, (old furniture, cabinets, etc.) is collected and recycled thru a
partnership with Mid City Scrap Iron.
The college has also committed to increasing the amount of recyclable materials collected on the campus grounds by purchasing new outside trash and recycling receptacles that will be placed at various locations throughout campus.
Recycling is something that all facilities staff take very seriously and many work hours are dedicated to facilitate this work.