Event Prep Tips & Advice
Tips for Projecting a Professional Image
- Consider every contact with an employer to be a professional networking experience, including this event.
- Dress and groom yourself as if you are going on a virtual interview. (Helpful Article: Practice and Preparation for an Online Interview)
- Take time to research the companies in advance and register for sessions that best match your interests and career goals.
- Visit the organizations’ websites and social media sites, such as Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn. Prepare some well-crafted, thoughtful questions. This can go a long way to establishing a great first impression. We’ve provided a list of sample questions below.
- Be punctual; join the session 5 minutes before it starts in a quiet environment, where you are unlikely to be distracted or interrupted. We highly recommend using a desktop computer or laptop that has a webcam and microphone. If possible, leave your webcam on throughout the session.
- Ask questions and engage with employers!
About the Company
- Do you offer internships or volunteer opportunities?
- Can you describe the company culture?
- What do you like most about working for this company?
- What is the on-boarding process like?
- Does your company have a mentoring program for new grad hires?
- What would you suggest for a candidate who wants to apply for an entry-level job with your company, but doesn’t have any direct work experience in the field yet?
- How has your company adapted to the COVID-19 pandemic?
- Have you experienced any layoffs over the past year?
About a Specific Role
- What do you think are the most important qualities for someone to excel in this role?
- What technical skills does this role require?
- What would be a typical career path for someone who starts in this position?
- What would someone in this position be responsible for in the first 3-6 months?
- What is the most important trait for someone to succeed in this role?
- What classes would you recommend I take in order to prepare for an entry-level job at your company?
About the Application Process
- Can you describe the application process?
- Can you describe the interview process?
- What impresses you most about a candidate during an interview?
- What do you look for on a resume?
Questions? We're here to help!
|Career Services||Experiential Education Center|