Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Breakfast 2019
Monday, January 21, 2019, 8:30 a.m.
Bristol Community College Fall River campus, 777 Elsbree Street
Commonwealth College Center (G building)
Please join us to celebrate the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. The event is free and open to all ages!
- Breakfast buffet
- Musical entertainment
- Essay Contest & Visual Arts Challenge winner’s announcement!
- Keynote address
2019 Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Breakfast Visual Arts Challenge
Attention High School Artists! Take part in the NEW Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Breakfast Visual Arts Challenge!
We’re seeking digitalized visual art submissions that demonstrate the spirit of Dr. King’s passionate speech at the 1959 Youth March in Washington D.C.
1st Prize: $150 gift card and a FREE 3-credit Bristol Community College course award
2nd Prize: $100 gift card
3rd Prize: $75 gift card
In April of 1959, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. spoke at the second of two Youth Marches in Washington, D.C. to end segregation in American schools. His speech began: “As I stand here and look out upon the thousands of Negro faces, and the thousands of white faces, intermingled like the waters of a river, I see only one face – the face of the future.”
Dr. King ended his speech with a challenge to the youth in attendance: “Make a career of humanity. Commit yourself to the noble struggle for equal rights. You will make a better person of yourself, a greater nation of your country, and a finer world to live in.”
Each participant in the 2019 MLK Visual Arts Challenge is invited to create an original work of visual art capturing the passion and spirit of the Youth March while envisioning the role of today’s youth in continuing Dr. King’s message of inclusion and diversity.
Submit a digitalized original painting, drawing, photograph, or a photograph of a sculpture, below
- Open to all high school students! Students in Grades 9-12 are eligible. Each contestant may include one submission.
- Digitally-submitted artwork may consist of an original painting, drawing, photograph, or a photograph of a sculpture.
- Digitally-submitted artwork file (png, jpeg, pdf) sizes may not exceed 50 megabytes.
- Artwork must be electronically submitted by Friday, December 21, 2018, by the official online submission form, below.
- Digitally-submitted artwork must include first name, last name, school, home address, email, and phone number.
- Judging will be conducted by Bristol’s Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Breakfast committee and will be based on artistry and best depiction of Dr. King’s message of inclusion and diversity.
- Winning contestants will be notified of their award by Monday, January 14, 2019.
- Prizes will be awarded at 19th Annual Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Breakfast January 21, 2019, at 8:30 a.m.