Commonwealth Honors Program
The Commonwealth Honors Program (CHP) at BCC offers tremendous opportunities now, and in the future, for highly motivated students looking to challenge themselves intellectually.
CHP allows students in any discipline or program to create customized experiences that meet their own interests and needs. By working one-on-one with faculty, Honors students are able to craft intellectually stimulating experiences and projects that point towards future goals.
By developing these mentorship relationships with faculty members, and investigating topics that are of personal interest, students enhance their experience at the College and make themselves attractive candidate for transfer to selective four-year institutions.
Students who choose to complete the program requirements and graduate as Commonwealth Honors Scholars are guaranteed admission to the Commonwealth Honors Programs at any Massachusetts public college or university. Honors students are not required to complete these graduation requirements, however, and may participate in a choice of experiences.
The CHP offers three different types of experiences:
- The Honors Course is only open to students in the CHP. All students receive honors credit.
- The Honors Component Course is a regular BCC course in which the CHP student works with the instructor of the course to design enriched personalized experiences that earn the student honors credit for the course.
- The Culminating Honors Project is a one-credit honors project required of all CHP students to graduate as a Commonwealth Honors Program Scholar. It is directed by a faculty member and involves independent research and work. It could grow out of an honors course, or be developed separately. Students are encouraged to present their projects at appropriate conferences.
Admission to the Program
Some students enter the program immediately out of high school. Others are returning students who have been away from high school for some time, or who discover their excellent academic abilities while at BCC. You must meet at least one of the following requirements, depending on your situation:
- Current BCC student with a minimum 3.5 cumulative GPA with at least 12 college-level BCC credits, or
- High school graduate within five years of high school graduation: Minimum combined SAT score of 1100 or ACT score of 24, or
- High school graduate within one year after high school graduation: graduate in the top 20 percent of high school class, or
- Transfer student within one year of attendance at another college: minimum 3.5 GPA from the sending college with at least 12 college level credits, or
- Student transferring in good standing from another CHP, or
- High score on BCC computerized placement test (given to entering day students upon admission), or
- Other documented experience which demonstrates the potential for honors level work.